Rocketech 2005 in high school

A place Umpires can meet or the softball community can ask questions to the umpires on rules. Get your answers here from real umpires! or Do you need a "Blue" advertise or look here!
Forum rules
Got a question on Rules? Get it answered here!
Crashnburk
43FT Rookie

Rocketech 2005 in high school

Post by Crashnburk » September 6th, 2010, 2:18 pm

Is a 2005 Rocketech still legal to use in High School Ball in Arizona? We had two different umpires pull the pre 2008 bats out.

Comp
43FT Veteran

Re: Rocketech 2005 in high school

Post by Comp » September 6th, 2010, 4:22 pm

I believe this is the original black Rocketech you are talking about. As long as it has the 2000 or 2004 ASA certification and does not appear on the ASA non approved list it is legal for high school use. If the umpires pulled the bats they may have been thinking of the NCAA rules. I believe they no longer allow the black Rocketechs.

AubreysFPdad
43FT Veteran

Post by AubreysFPdad » January 31st, 2011, 5:06 pm

the 2005 RT is blue (white writing) with a red handle the 2004 was black(yellow and red writing) with the red handle. I believe both are still legal in H.S.according to ASA as we have a whole rack of 2005 RT's. We are in NY. If they are not legal in AZ then it must be a regional thing? It would not surprise me to see ASA follow LL international in a moratorium on composite bats until they are tested to not exceed their rated performance after break in. The RT's would probably not pass the test. The 04 RT is the best bat either of my 2 girls have swung by along shot. The 05 RT is a close second. The newer DeMarinis and Eastons are good, but not as good. If I'm not mistaken the 2004 RT meets ASA2000 requirements and the bats are rated at 100mph while the 2005 Rt had to meet the ASA2004 requirements which were 98mph. Great bats, swing 'em while you still can !!

AubreysFPdad
43FT Veteran

Post by AubreysFPdad » January 31st, 2011, 5:15 pm

Sorry bout the double post. here are bat rules

PLEASE KNOW YOUR RULES

Many associations and leagues have their own specific rules regarding bats.

Ask your local officials and league administrators for updated rules.

98 MPH : Meets ALL Association rules as of today, including the new 2004 ASA Bat Rule. Bats must test lower than 98 MPH to pass the new 2004 ASA bat testing standard and can be stamped with a 2000 or 2004 ASA marking. These bats also meet the 1.20 BPF standard used by the USSSA, NSA, ISF and other associations.

100 MPH : Meets ALL Association rules as of today. Manufacturers stopped production of these models on June 30, 2004. However, players may continue to use these models indefinitely in accordance with ASA’s license agreement with the bat manufacturers. These bats will only be stamped with the ASA 2000 marking. These bats also meet the 1.20 BPF standard used by the USSSA and ISF. Check with the association you play under for specific rulings.

100+ MPH : These bats are not ASA approved. DOES COMPLY with Most Other Major Softball Association Bat Performance Standards in effect as of January 1, - USSSA, NSA, ISA, SSUSA, & ISF. 1.20 BPF Certified. Check with the association you play under for specific rulings.

1.20 BPF : The old standard for ASA, but still legal in MOST other associations. Most are rated at 100+ MPH. They are legal in USSSA as well as most other leagues. These bats have been manufactured after June 30, 2004 and are not legal in ASA championship play. Check with the association you play under for specific

I also found that the 2005 RT IS legal in all ASA sanctioned games

Coach Dale
43FT All Star

Post by Coach Dale » January 31st, 2011, 5:55 pm

The 2005 RT is still legal for AIA, ASA, TCS, USSSA in Arizona. (It has the 2004 ASA emblem on it.) HOWEVER if it is bent or has any dents that put it out of round (or the pins on the end are protruding) then the umps will pull the bat. Next time I would ask why they are pulling the bat. If they won’t give a reason, then a phone call to the AIA would be the next step.

FYI the 2005 RT is not a composite bat and wouldn’t fall into the composite bat ban if AIA were to ban the composites. That won’t happen for this year (2011) because that would have had to happen in the rule changes back in the summer of 2010. Who knows what they will do for 2012?
Dale Lehnhoff

Czech Republic National Team, Assistant Coach
USA Softball, Head Coach, Italy '10; Australia,'11 &'14; Czech Republic,'12; Holland,'13
Ledenice Sharks, Head Coach, Czech Republic
European Softball Camp, Instructor, Czech Republic

AubreysFPdad
43FT Veteran

Post by AubreysFPdad » February 1st, 2011, 8:22 pm

LL international didn't have a bat like the double wall aluminum RT to be concerned with. From what I understand it is a moratorium, not a ban therefore does not require a rule change. ASA could easily put a moratorium on double wall/composite bats until the bats are proven NOT to exceed their ratings after a break in period without violating their licensing agreements. It would put the onus on the manufacturers, not the ASA, to be sure the bats are safe. Obviously many bats are "hotter" after break in than when they are new (they are tested new) and would exceed their rated speeds. (Hence all the bat rolling/shaving services advertised here. Whats up with that 43 ft?) Hopefully the ASA would see the potential havoc this would create, not to mention the loss of income in a crappy economy, and won't have a knee jerk reaction to whatever the LL international is reacting to. I personally have thousands invested in bats for our teams and would not appreciate having to replace them (nor could I afford to)

Bretman
43FT Player

Post by Bretman » February 2nd, 2011, 11:59 pm

ASA has been a leader in the areas of bat testing and certification. I really wouldn't expect them to "follow LL's lead" at all. I deal with several different sanctioning bodies in both baseball and softball. If anything, many organizations are following ASA's lead and their bat rules are just now catching up to where ASA has already been for several years.

Back in 2008 ASA addressed the issue of bats getting "hotter" after a break-in period. Their latest bat standard includes an "accelerated break-in" (ABI) test that ensures a bat stays within specification after break-in through normal use. Of course, any "abnormal" break-in or bat doctoring are against their rules and render a bat's use illegal.

I really don't expect any "knee jerk" reactions from ASA or expect any similar sort of bat moratorium because they already went through same issues and addressed them years ago!

AubreysFPdad
43FT Veteran

Post by AubreysFPdad » February 4th, 2011, 9:06 pm

Bretman wrote:ASA has been a leader in the areas of bat testing and certification. I really wouldn't expect them to "follow LL's lead" at all. I deal with several different sanctioning bodies in both baseball and softball. If anything, many organizations are following ASA's lead and their bat rules are just now catching up to where ASA has already been for several years.

Back in 2008 ASA addressed the issue of bats getting "hotter" after a break-in period. Their latest bat standard includes an "accelerated break-in" (ABI) test that ensures a bat stays within specification after break-in through normal use. Of course, any "abnormal" break-in or bat doctoring are against their rules and render a bat's use illegal.

I really don't expect any "knee jerk" reactions from ASA or expect any similar sort of bat moratorium because they already went through same issues and addressed them years ago!

I didn't realize ASA added ans ABI test in 2008. thanks for the info. I'm dealing with this LL moratorium with my sons ll team (I bought him a new DeMarini distance, at least it was cheaper !!!) I own 5 RT's and 3 DeMarini composites for FP and really hope the ASA would not make the same mistake.

vynindis
43FT All American

Post by vynindis » Yesterday, 7:29 am

Return to “"Ask Blue or Looking for Blue" - The Umpires Corner”