3. Mart
4. Saltillo
5. Blue Ridge

6. Sam Rayburn Ivanhoe
7. Petrolia
8. Alto
9. Slocum
10. Thrall
Comments: Cross Roads is gearing up with seven returning starters, strong freshman group and a transfer from a year ago who is eligible this year. Saltillo likewise has a solid returning core while Grapeland has strong pitching. With Forsan moving up Class 1A is wide open.

Class 2A

1. George West
2. Brock

3. Early
4. Grand Saline
5. Harleton
6. Hallettsville
7. Alpine
8. Danbury
9. McGregor
10. Poth
Comments: 2010 champion George West and 2009 champion Brock are gearing up for a potential re-match but the Longhorns play out of the tougher region as district rival Poth is loaded and a former champion while Hallettsville is extremely good. Grand Saline looks deeper than initially thought and McGregor is talent heavy.

Class 3A

1. Celina
2. Liberty Hill
3. Princeton
4.. Splendora
5. Bandera
6. Paris North Lamar
7. West
8. North Forney
9. Lindale
10. Giddings
Comments: Continued review seems to favor the balance of Celina and the pitching of Liberty Hill slightly ahead of the hitting of Princeton. Bandera, Paris North Lamar and West are solid while I think that North Forney may surprise a lot of teams. The Lady Buffs of Giddings hit the ball and are a good team in a good district.

Class 4A

1. Frisco Wakeland
2. Elgin
3. Corpus Christi Moody
4. Montgomery
5. Royce City
6. Sherman
7. Rockwall
8. Brenham
9. Cedar Park Vista Ridge
10. New Braunfels Canyon
Comments: To clarify, Frisco Wakeland is loaded and they do have six college bound players but not all are Division I players but good enough to play at college means they are still the team to beat. Elgin has their best team since current coach Amanda Wolfe hurled the Lady Cats to regionals. Graduation really smacked Brenham but history has shown the Cubettes to be a well coached bunch. Royce City and New Braunfels Canyon can build around a couple of standouts while Forney lurks near the top ten and could be a power as the season progresses.

Class 5A

1. Pearland
2. Tomball
3. Lewisville Hebron
4. Plano
5. Round Rock Stony Point
6. Katy Taylor
7. The Woodlands
8. Austin Bowie
9. Keller
10. Midland Lee
Comments: No matter how many ways I look at it, Pearland is the team to beat. Tomball, Hebron and one of the Plano teams whether Plano Senior, Plano East or maybe even Plano West will compete, it is hard to pick against the Oilers. Houston Bellaire has flexed their softball might and could be a contender and for the first time in a decade there are at least three solid El Paso teams that might make things exciting.

texdocbay
43FT Veteran

Re: Texas High School Preseason Rankings

Post by texdocbay » February 19th, 2011, 7:58 pm

I watched games at the FWC invitational this week..Birdville is decent, Wellburn is good pitcher. Should go far. Northwest is down due to pitching..2nd base is strong. FWC is real weak after the pitcher catcher duo. Wichita Falls Rider is average. Trinity is young and will have to mature fast. Aledo has potential, but will stuggle for a while yet. Irving has potential if the freshmen come through. They are starting 5 seniors and four freshmen. Grapevine and Richland will make some noise in their run but will fall silent.

Heard that Byron Nelson went to finals in Argyle and will be competitive in their first varsity year.

I have seen Wakeland and they are solid. I have seen Saginaw and they have a ways to go. I have seen Denton Guyer and they have potential to contend in District.

softballdaddi
43FT Seasoned Veteran

Re: Texas High School Preseason Rankings

Post by softballdaddi » February 21st, 2011, 7:37 am

Don't know why Austin Bowie is ranked so high? Cathy is a good coach, but she has a new pitcher and a fairly young team. Watchout for Westlake, they have a good pitcher in Lauren McCloud.

Return to “TX - DALLAS / FT. WORTH AREA FP News”